I have seen on a few decorating shows now the idea of colored appliances in the kitchen – I’m not talking about black instead of white, these were purple, pink and aqua!! These eye-catching appliances may be a fun trend, but are you ready to make the commitment? Here are a few tips if you are trying to decide on color vs. neutral:
- If you are buying one replacement appliance you will probably want to choose a color or finish that matches or blends in with your existing appliances
- In a few years, if one of your colored appliances needs replacing and that color is no longer available, will you be OK with mismatched appliances or are you prepared to replace all of your appliances to match?
- If you have already picked out that orange or red refrigerator that you LOVE, will you still be in love with it in 5-10 years or more?
- Does the color you are considering blend with your floors, countertops, backsplash and cabinets?
- Remember, with colored appliances, it is hard to find appliance paint to cover scratches, dents and fingerprints
- If you are planning on selling your home soon, ask your Realtor what they think of your appliances choices – they will know the neighborhood well and what buyers like.
So what’s my opinion? When I first saw that appliances were available in these hot hues, I wanted to check it out. After talking with Seth, I discovered they are more expensive to buy and repair and parts may not always be available. In the end, we have stainless appliances and I am very happy with our choice. BUT, in our next home, if we have the need for an appliance outside the kitchen, like a refrigerator in a game room or media room – I’m definitely going to bring up the colored appliance idea again, but for now I’ll stick with my blue KitchenAid Mixer! Please post if you have ever taken the leap and installed these fun appliances…